About Director General
Mr. Kimelabalou ABA
Director General - Intergovernmental Action Group
Against Money Laundering in West Africa (GIABA)
Aged 46, Mr. Kimelabalou ABA is a Magistrate, holds an M.Phil. obtained in 1999, Option Magistracy, from the National School of Administration (ENA) Lomé-Togo. Previously, he completed his primary and secondary studies leading to an Advanced Level School Certificate in Philosophy obtained at the Chaminade College in Kara, Togo, which led him to higher education. He opted for the Faculty of Law at the University of Benin in Lomé, Togo, where he graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Private Law obtained in 1994 and a Master's degree in Business Law a year later.
Mr. ABA also holds a Post-graduate Professional Diploma in Fundamental Rights from the University of Nantes (France) in 2002 and obtained a Professional Masters Degree in African Cyber Law from the Gaston Berger University in Saint-Louis, Senegal, and the dissertation is being finalized.
Professionally, Mr. ABA has a wealth of diversified professional experiences. He served as a Judge at the African Court of Human and People's Rights (ACHPR) in Arusha, Tanzania, in 2013 and 2014.
At national level, he has alternately served as Deputy Judge and Judge at the Lomé High Court from 2000 to 2006, Deputy State Prosecutor at the Lomé High Court from 2006 to 2012, then as Chief Justice President of the Vogan High Court from 2012 to 2014. Prior to his appointment as GIABA Director General, Mr. ABA held the position of Chief Justice of the Atakpamé Lower High Court in Togo since 2014.
Mr. Kimelabalou ABA also has a wealth of expertise in electoral matters. Thus, he served as Chairman of the Independent Local Electoral Commissions (TISC) of Vo and Ogou Districts from 2012 to 2015.
The new Director General of GIABA is very familiar with the Institution he has just been appointed to head, having served as Expert representing the Ministry of Justice of Togo at the GIABA Technical Commission Meetings from 2010 to 201 7 and as Co-chair of the Evaluation and Compliance Group (ECG) since November 2016, a position he held until his appointment.
The Director General has participated in several seminars and trainings on Anti-money Laundering and Counter Financing of Terrorism and Proliferation, human rights, international criminal law, cybersecurity/cybercrime, intellectual property as well as the OHADA Law, including:
1- On Anti-Money Laundering and Counter Financing of Terrorism and Proliferation
- From 16th to 19th October, 2017: Participated in the regional workshop on the effective implementation of AML/CFT requirements and the role of stakeholders in Grand Bassam, Republic of Côte d'Ivoire.
- From 25th to 29th May, 2015: Assessors Training Workshop: exercises on GIABA’s 2nd Round of Mutual Evaluation in Yamoussoukro, Republic of Côte d'Ivoire.
- On 5th May, 2012: Represented the Minister of Justice of Togo at the Ministerial Committee Meeting of the Inter-Governmental Action Group against Money Laundering in West Africa (GIABA) held in Abidjan, Republic of Côte d'Ivoire.
- From 27th to 30th March, 2012: Sensitization and Training Seminar for State Departments on Anti-money Laundering and Counter Financing of Terrorism organized by the Togolese Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU) in Lomé, Togo, with the support of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC).
- From 12th to 16th September, 2011: Training Seminar for Magistrates, criminal investigation officers, support judicial staff and other stakeholders in Anti-money Laundering and Counter Financing of Terrorism organized by the Togolese Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU) at Nangbeto, Togo, with the support of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC).
- From 13th to 17th September, 2010: Participated in the workshop for the finalization of the draft responses to the Mutual Evaluation Questionnaire of Togo organized by the Togolese Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU) in Nangbéto, Togo.
- From 4th to 6th August, 2010: Participated in the preparatory workshop for the Mutual Evaluation of Togo organized by GIABA in Lomé, Togo.
- From 2nd to 4th December 2008: Training seminar on Anti-money Laundering and Terrorist Financing for Francophone and Lusophone Judges in ECOWAS in Lomé, Togo.
3- On Human Rights
- From 23rd to 26th November, 2016 Participated in the Fifth African Union High-Level Dialogue on Human Rights in Arusha, United Republic of Tanzania.
- From 21st to 22nd November, 2016: Participated in the 10th Anniversary Symposium of the African Court of Human and Peoples' Rights in Arusha, United Republic of Tanzania.
- From 18th to 22nd May, 2015: Participated in the Judicial Dialogue on Human Rights in Africa, organized by the African Institute of International Law in Arusha, United Republic of Tanzania.
- From 30th to 31st January, 2014: Regional Training Workshop on Gender and Gender-based Violence in Entebbe, Uganda.
- From 21st to 22nd November, 2013: Continental Conference on the African Court of Human and Peoples' Rights for the Media in Arusha, United Republic of Tanzania
- From 18th to 20th November, 2013 : Seminar on legal dialogue between the African Court of Human and Peoples' Rights and the Chief Justices of Supreme Courts of African Union Member States in Arusha, United Republic of Tanzania.
- From 22nd to 29th October, 2013 : Participated in the public sessions of the 54th Ordinary Session of the African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights in Banjul, The Gambia.
- From 8th to10th May, 2013: Regional Sensitization Seminar on the Promotion of the African Court of Human and Peoples Rights, in Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire.
- In April 2013: Continental Sensitization Seminar on the Promotion of the African Court of Human and Peoples’ Rights, Yaoundé, Cameroon.
2- On International Criminal Law
- From 5th to 9th February, 2018: Participated in the "Capacity Building Training for Magistrates in the Repression of International and Transnational Crimes in Africa", organized in The Hague by the Asser Institute in The Hague, in collaboration with the Cassese Foundation and Municipality of The Hague, The Netherlands.
- From 16th to 17th December, 2013: Participated in the "Reflection on International Criminal Justice, Peace, Justice and Reconciliation, and Impacts/Actions of the International Criminal Court (ICC) in Africa", Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- From 7th to 8th December, 2013: Participated in the Workshop on the International Criminal Justice System in Arusha, United Republic of Tanzania.
4- On Cybersecurity/Cybercrime:
- From 18th to 22nd September, 2012 : West African Workshop on Cyber Security and Cybercrime, organized by the United States Department of Justice, at Radisson Blu Hotel in Dakar, Senegal.
- From 9th to 12th July 2012: Training Workshop on Managing Computer Incident Response Team “CIRT” in Lomé, Togo.
- From 3rd to 6th July, 2012: Training Workshop on the Security of the “ImpactCore v2” Information Systems in Lomé, Togo.
- From 17th to 22nd June, 2012 : West Africa Workshop on Digital Investigation Techniques for Intellectual Property Crime and other White-Collar Offences, organized by the Criminal Division of the United States Department of Justice in Accra, Ghana.
- From 6th to 10th September, 2010: Regional Evaluation Workshop for Regional Training Seminars at the Regional Training Centre for Drug Control (CRFLD) in Grand-Bassam, Côte d'Ivoire.
- From 19th to 30th January, 2009: Practical training course on Cybercrime at the Regional Training Centre for Drug Control (CRFLD) at Grand-Bassam, Côte d'Ivoire.
5- On Intellectual Property
- From 5th to 7th July, 2010: Sub-Regional Seminar on Intellectual Property for Magistrates from Member States of the African Intellectual Property Organization (AIPO) in Yaoundé, Cameroon.
- From 1st March to 15th April, 2004: Certificate of Achievement at the General Course of Intellectual Property at the World Academy of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
6- On OHADA Law
- From 15th to 19th October 19, 2012 : Training Workshop on Revised Uniform Acts on General Business Law and Organization of Security Interests in Lomé, Togo.
- From 7th to 25th June, 2004: Complementary Training of Auditors of Justice in OHADA Law at the Regional School of Magistrates in Porto-Novo (Republic of Benin).
Mr. Kimelabalou ABA is married with four (4) children.